We needed a dish to take to a potluck recently, and chocolate pumpkin cookies quickly came to mind. I looove dark chocolate, and we had several cans of pumpkin on hand. However, we were already taking some cookies from Vegan Chocolate Seduction, and I was in the mood for mousse.
Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Mousse
This delectable fall or winter holiday topping is great served up in a fancy glass or dish, or of course, on top of a vegan waffle. Makes 4 cups.
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (melted)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine (softened)
- 12 ounces firm silken tofu
- 1 15-ounce can pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons molasses (preferably blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
- Combine the chocolate chips and vegan margarine in a small bowl, and heat in the microwave at 45- to 60-second intervals just until the chocolate is melted and most lumps can be stirred out. (Time may need to be adjusted depending upon your microwave's power.) Alternately, melt the mixture in a small saucepan over low to medium heat, heating just until the chocolate has melted and stirring constantly to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Combine the softened chocolate chips and margarine with all other ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth. This is a thick mixture, so you may need to stop the blender several times to push the unmixed portion down near the blades with a large spoon or spatula before replacing the lid and turning the blender back on. If you sense you're maxing out your blender's power and size capacity, you may find it easier to divide the mixture into two portions, blend them separately until smooth, and then blend them back together at the end.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, as the mixture will thicken a bit as it cools. Serve on top of freshly baked vegan waffles, or in a pompous-looking serving cup or dish.
- To make it extra fancy, top the topping with finely chopped candied ginger and chopped chocolate chips, or semisweet baker's chocolate.