“…Wheitner guides readers on a fascinating and fun journey of self-realization so that our vision can be realized. Naked Idealism supplies all the essential tools to help us discern, define, and develop our strengths, identify key values, and devise an effective strategy for finally living what Wheitner calls an ‘authentic life.’”
– Jo Stepaniak, author or co-author of 16 books on compassionate and sustainable living, Vegetarian Hall of Fame inductee
While much of Naked Idealism is relevant to anyone seeking to improve their happiness, direction, life balance, and positive impact, it covers several topics that are particularly relevant to vegans and vegetarians. This became very clear when I led workshops based upon the book at the North American Vegetarian Society’s conference, where the completed version of Naked Idealism debuted.
The book covers topics including the following:
- How to communicate more effectively with individuals whose thinking is very different from our own, and avoid isolating ourselves, drawing upon topics ranging from counseling psychology to political rhetoric.
- How to adopt a more proactive and vision-based mindset, rather than a reactive, fear-based, “gloom and doom” way of thinking that can lead to burnout.
- How to explore our values and attitudes regarding money, economics and poverty versus abundance-based thinking. When some of our values are at odds with the current economic system, limited finances or guilt regarding income sources may pose challenges.
- How to avoid issues that can cause fragmentation and conflict within vegan and vegetarian communities.
What Others are Saying
“…A stimulating and novel blend of self-help manual and sustainable living guide…exceptional advice on the peculiar crossover aspects of the personal and the socially responsible life.”
–The Sylvanian (Pennsylvania Sierra Club Magazine)
“On those days when I thought I was completely insane for taking such a risk–especially in THIS economy, I would often reference some pages…Your book was an incredible resource when I was trying to juggle many new hats and make this little endeavor a success.”
-Melissa A. Gertz, Esq., Executive Director, Community Justice Center, Trenton, NJ
“…Dave offers humor, stories, tips and techniques to assist you in your quest to be more authentic, true to yourself, and capable of impacting change in the world at the same time.”
– Patrick Williams, EdD, MCC, Founder of Institute for Coach Training, author, speaker, lifecoach
“…A comprehensive and inspiring guide for socially conscious people…Wheitner’s unique background and training in public policy, counseling, and coaching enables him to address this topic in such a comprehensive manner.”
– Karen Litzinger, MA, LPC, Owner, Litzinger Career Consulting
“…A wealth of tools, information and honest personal experience covering many largely neglected topics…It empowers those with a high level of social consciousness to become more effective and engaged, while also encouraging deeper awareness in areas they may not have considered.”
– Robbie Ali, MD, MPH, MPPM
“A thoroughly user friendly guide to being oneself and taking life how it should be taken – with a grain of salt and a dash of humor.”
-Midwest Book Review