This recipe produces dark, crispy waffles with an earthy, bittersweet flavor. If you’ve already experimented with sweeteners like blackstrap molasses and are looking to try something new, this may be a good next step. For a topping, mix equal parts warm barley malt syrup and maple syrup, and drizzle on top.
Buckwheat Barley Malt Vegan Waffles
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspooon salt
- 2 1/4 cups soymilk
- 1/4 cup barley malt syrup see note
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the soymilk, barley malt syrup, canola oil, and flaxseed in a medium bowl.
- Pour the soymilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Preheat the waffle iron for 3 to 5 minutes, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Spray both grids of the waffle iron with oil. Pour or ladle the batter into the center of the iron, covering no more than two-thirds of the iron’s surface for the first waffle. Adjust the amount as needed for subsequent waffles.
- Bake each waffle for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it can be removed easily. Spray additional oil on the grids prior to each waffle.