Someone recently commented on the Buckwheat-Rice Yeast-Raised Vegan Waffles, asking if they could be made without yeast. (Mandee, thanks for your inspirational question!) It did require a number of modifications, but here’s what tinkering produced. Please let me know how they turn out for you!
Buckwheat Rice Molasses Gluten-Free Vegan Waffles
- 1 C rice flour
- 1 C buckwheat flour
- 1/2 C tapioca flour
- 1 t salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 t xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 C soymilk plain unsweetened
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 2 T molasses
- 2 T sugar
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the soymilk, oil, molasses and sugar. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until blended - you don't want chunks of dry flour, but it should still be a bit lumpy.
- Allow the batter to sit for 3 minutes while preheating the waffle iron, and then stir another 5 to 10 strokes.
- Spray both grids of the waffle iron generously with oil. This is important even with “no stick” irons.
- Pour or ladle the batter into the center of the iron, covering no more than two-thirds of the iron’s surface for the first waffle. Adjust the amount as needed for subsequent waffles.
- Bake each waffle for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it reaches the desired level of brownness and can be easily removed. Spray the iron grids with oil prior to each additional waffle.