Imagine if you took cheese crackers and made them vegan, and then puffed them up into a fluffy, crispy waffle. That’s about the best description I can come up with for these! This recipe was inspired by Jo Stepaniak’s “crock cheez” recipe from her Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, which I highly recommend.
These could make a great snack served in quarters for a Super Bowl party or other gathering; if you’re planning on using them for a meal you may wish to decrease the salt from 3/4 t to 1/2 t, as they are relatively salty (just like cheese crackers).
I was trying to come up with a catchy name blending the words “cheese” and “waffle,” but that yielded things like “weesle,” “chaffle” and “wacheese.” These, of course, sound like a sneaky animal, a painful injury, and a reaction to airborne irritants. Not very appetizing! So, they’re just “cheddar cheesy vegan waffles” for now.
Cheddar Cheesy Vegan Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (If you don't want them as salty as cheese crackers, reduce this to 1/2 t.)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons miso (light or chickpea)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (optional)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate medium bowl. Be sure to break up the clumps of miso very well, as it has a strong flavor.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended. Allow the batter to sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cook on a generously oiled waffle iron, generously spraying both iron grids with oil before each waffle.
This recipe has been revised since it was originally posted.