Spelt-Oat-Banana-Walnut-Spice Vegan Waffles: Dave’s Fave
This spelt-oat-banana-walnut-spice vegan waffle recipe is a variation/combination of a few other recipes posted here, and is currently my favorite. I've actually eaten a few of these without any toppings, or just a little hot maple syrup. These are a bit lighter and fluffier than the buckwheat waffles, but still very filling. You'll have to experiment a little to get the right combination of crispiness on the outside vs. moistness on the inside.
- 1 ripe banana very well mashed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (You can omit 2 tablespoons of water if you're omitting the walnuts.)
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (Most recipes use only a teaspoon--I love vanilla!)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer powder
- 1/3 cup raw finely chopped walnuts measured before chopping
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 pod freshly ground nutmeg
Mix together the mashed banana and liquid.
Stir together dry ingredients and mix in wet ingredients.
Cook on a waffle iron sprayed generously with oil (we generally use canola). My recommendation is to cook the first one roughly a minute longer than you normally cook waffles to avoid sticking, and then adjust the time for subsequent waffles if necessary.