This is adapted from the vegan ice cream base at the Vivacious Vegan.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cup coconut milk (1 can)
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup plain soy creamer (see note)
- 2 t pure vanilla (The non-alcoholic kind is preferable as it doesn’t inhibit
freezing, but it can be harder to find.)
- 3 T canola or other preferred vegetable oil (see note)
- a pinch of salt (I used 1/8 tsp)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- a pinch of cayenne pepper powder (I used just under 1/8 t)
- 1 t cinnamon
1. Blend all ingredients in a blender until well mixed.
2. If your ice cream maker has a removable bowl that has to be chilled in the freezer, and it’s a warm day, chill the ice cream mixture in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes, before pouring it into your ice cream maker. It’s fine if it has a few clumps that are starting to freeze, but it should still be mostly liquid. This will help to ensure that your ice cream maker doesn’t run out of “chill juice” before your ice cream is complete.
3. Put the mixture in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions.
4. You can enjoy this as “soft serve” when the ice cream maker is finished or freeze it in your freezer for an hour or two until it gets a harder consistency.
You can replace the soy creamer with soy milk, or reduce the oil. However, it won’t be quite as thick and rich.
After the ice cream has been in the freezer for more than a few hours, you’ll probably need to let it sit out to soften a bit before serving.