Banana Oat Spelt Vegan Waffles: WP 9 Version
This is another delicious vegan waffle treat using spelt in lieu of regular wheat flour for a bit more lightness. They incorporate the texture of rolled oats alongside mashed banana to tie it all together. They made their public debut at Waffle Party 9. I hope you enjoy them as much as our guests did.
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 cup soymilk we use unsweetened or other non-dairy milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana. To the banana, add the soymilk, water, oil, egg replacer powder, and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until evenly combined, but slightly lumpy.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes on a waffle iron sprayed *generously* with oil prior to each waffle. My recommendation is to cook the first one roughly a minute longer than you normally cook waffles to avoid sticking, and then adjust the time for subsequent waffles if necessary.