Carrot Ginger Sage Oat Vegan Waffles Recipe
These herb-alicious treats are on the "savory" end and have a relatively dense, healthy and wholesome feel. The touch of brown sugar is just enough to add a slight sweetness. Makes 3 to 4 (7-inch) round Belgian vegan waffles.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 3 waffles
- 1 1/2 C buckwheat flour
- 1/2 C rolled oats
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t ginger powder
- 2 1/2 t rubbed sage (or substitute 2 1/2 t dried sage or 2 t ground sage)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 C unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1 C grated carrot (measured after grating--I used the food processor)
- 1/3 C unsweetened applesauce
- 3 T canola oil
- 1 t lemon juice (optional--adds a slight amount of additional "zing")
- 2 T packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed.
Whisk together the wet ingredients (including brown sugar and grated carrot) in a small bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended.
Spray both grids of a preheated waffle iron with oil. Pour or ladle the batter into the center of the iron, covering no more than two-thirds of the iron’s surface for the first waffle. Adjust the amount as needed for subsequent waffles.
Bake each waffle for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it can be removed easily, spraying the waffle iron grids with oil prior to each waffle.