Avocado Pecan Vegan Waffles for Two
This vegan waffle recipe goes well with a modest topping of vanilla soy yogurt or applesauce. Makes two (7-inch) round Belgian vegan waffles.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 waffles
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw pecans
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
- 1 ripe avocado (Haas or other variety, mashed until smooth)
- 1/2 cup soymilk or other nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Chop the pecans and set aside.
Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl and stir with a whisk.
Mash the avocado in a medium bowl, and thoroughly mix with the soymilk, sugar, water oil, and lime juice. Pour into the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in the pecans.
Preheat the waffle iron for 3 to 5 minutes and spray both grids with oil. Pour or ladle the batter into the center of the iron, covering no more than two-thirds of the iron's surface for the first waffle. Adjust the amount as needed for subsequent waffles. Bake each waffle for 4 to 5 minutes, or until it can be removed easily.