Cheddar Cheesy Vegan Waffles Recipe
Along with being very tasty on their own, these eggless, dairy-free, and cheesy vegan waffles are great served with additional applesauce on top. You might also try them smothered with a generous portion of vegan chili.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (If you don't want them as salty as cheese crackers, reduce this to 1/2 t.)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons miso (light or chickpea)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (optional)
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate medium bowl. Be sure to break up the clumps of miso very well, as it has a strong flavor.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended. Allow the batter to sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
Cook on a generously oiled waffle iron, generously spraying both iron grids with oil before each waffle.