Could one of the most popular vegan waffles recipes in WaffleParty.com history be improved? Yummerlicious, I believe it worked! This simple and easy recipe for vegan waffles will satisfy a broad range of wafflicionados.
Light and crispy, they are a new and improved spin-off of the very popular and simple Naked Vegan Waffles from The Global Vegan Waffle Cookbook. One of my personal faves. Shown in featured photo topped with blueberries, mango, and maple syrup. They were so delicious, in fact, that the photos are from two different batches!
If you’re relatively new to vegan and gluten-free baking, or are recommending this to a friend who is, check out this 30-second video on how to keep waffles from sticking to the iron.
Naked Gluten-Free Vegan Waffles Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup canola, grapeseed, olive, or other vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup see note
- Combine the rice flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Combine the soymilk, oil, ground flaxseed, and maple syrup in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until well blended, and any large clumps of rice flour are gone.
- Let the waffle batter stand for 3 to 5 minutes while preheating a waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions. This will allow the rice flour to absorb a bit more of the moisture, and will allow the flaxseed to thicken the batter a bit.
- Stir the batter a bit more if necessary to get rid of any remaining rice flour clumps.
- Spray both grids of the waffle iron very generously with oil. (See note.) Pour or ladle the batter onto the center of the iron. As this batter is relatively thin, it should spread all the way out to the edges. If the first waffle is either too small or significantly overflowing, just adjust accordingly for subsequent waffles.
- Bake each waffle for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it can be removed easily, spraying both grids generously with oil prior to each waffle.