These delicious disks of buckwheat-molasses flavor were inspired during a rare Portland snow and ice storm, where there were few things better to do than bake up hot vegan waffles and enjoy them. They’re not just one of the best vegan waffle recipes for a chilly morning–they’re friggin’ molasses-tastic!
Molasses-tastic Gluten-Free Vegan Waffle Recipe
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup tapoica flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk, nutmilk, seed milk, coconut beverage, or rice milk see note
- 1/4 cup canola, olive, or other oil
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup molasses I prefer blackstrap
- Combine the buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a whisk until well blended.
- Thoroughly mix the soymilk, oil, flaxseed, and molasses in a medium bowl.
- Pour the soymilk and oil mixture into the flour mixture and stir until well mixed and all lumps are gone. Let stand for 4 to 5 minutes, so that the flaxseed has a chance to thicken the mixture for proper binding.
- Preheat the waffle iron iron for 3 to 5 minutes while the batter is standing.
- Spray both grids of the waffle iron with oil. Pour or ladle the batter into the center of the iron, covering no more than two-thirds of the iron's surface for the first waffle. Adjust the amount as needed for subsequent waffles.
- Bake each waffle for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it can be removed easily. Spray the grids with oil prior to each waffle.