Do you love chocolate and cocoa as much as I do? If so, it’s always good to have something on hand to fulfill that craving. This essential vegan waffle topping, one that goes with many fruits, creams, and styles of waffles, will do the trick.
For a waffle party or other event with a waffle bar, you can make a double batch, divide it into several small bowls, and add different additional flavors to each one. In the photo below, one is original deep dark chocolate syrup, one is Mexican chocolate with cinnamon and a dash of cayenne pepper added, and one has ginger added.
If you have some syrup left over after all the waffles have been eaten, just dip some strawberries, bananas, or other fruit into it like fondue. Yummahs!
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ cup soymilk or other nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients except the vanilla extract in a small saucepan.
- Stir constantly and briskly over medium heat until half a minute after it begins to boil. Continue to scrape the bottom to incorporate any dry cocoa and keep it from burning.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Don't eat it all before you have a chance to spoon some onto a waffle!