Naked Vegan Waffles
A few visitors have asked for a basic, easy neutral vegan waffle recipe to accompany the more adventurous ones. While the creative part of my mind rebelled at first, I decided that several good "neutral" recipes are vital for waffle parties with a range of toppings. So without further fanfare, here is your very basic-but still delicious-vegan waffle. Makes 4 (7-inch) round Belgian waffles.
Author: Dave W.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cups soymilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the soymilk, canola oil, and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Pour the soymilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Cook on a waffle iron for 3 to 5 minutes, generously spraying both grills with oil before each waffle.
If the first waffle seems a bit denser than you'd like, try adding up to an additional ¼ cup of water. You can also add another tablespoon of brown sugar or 1 to 2 tablespoons of molasses if you'd like them to be a bit darker and crispier.