This is adapted from the vegan ice cream base at the Vivacious Vegan.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 3/4 cup coconut milk (1 can)
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup plain soy creamer (if you don’t have this on hand, you can replace this with soy milk–it just won’t we quite as thick and rich)
- 2 t pure vanilla (The non-alcoholic kind is preferable as it doesn’t inhibit
freezing, but can be somewhat hard to find.)
- 3 T oil (I use canola–it’s among the healthier oils, and we keep
it in stock for things like vegan chocolate chip cookies and
waffles.) If you’re not replacing the soy creamer with soy milk, you can experiment with reducing or eliminating this–but it does make it a little richer!
- a tiny pinch of salt (I used 1/8 tsp)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- just under 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t cinnamon
1. Blend the above in a blender for a few minutes so it gets really creamy.
- If all of your ingredients were cold before blending, you can proceed to step 2.
- If all of your ingredients were room temperature before blending, put the mixture into the freezer for at least 30 minutes or the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes to bring the temperature down. (It may take much longer than this.)
2. Put the mixture in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions.
3. You can enjoy this as “soft serve” when the ice cream maker is finished or freeze it in your freezer until it gets a harder consistency.