Buckwheat-Oat-Applesauce Vegan Waffles Recipe–WP9 Version
This is a significant variation on the "Healthful Vegan Waffles" recipe also mentioned on this site. This is the version used for Waffle Party 9.
Author: Dave W.
- 1¼ cups buckwheat flour
- ½ cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups soymilk (we used unsweetened) or other non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup unsweetened non-chunky applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer powder
- 1 tablespoon unrefined cane sugar (see note)
- ½ tablespoon molasses (preferably blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the buckwheat flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir or whisk until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soymilk, water, applesauce, oil, egg replacer powder, sugar, molasses, and vanilla, and stir until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated, but still slightly lumpy.
- Cook on a waffle iron for 3 to 5 minutes, generously spraying both grills with oil before each waffle.
For the exact ratio used for WP9, replace 1 tsp. of the unrefined cane sugar with demerara sugar--this, however, will make only a very small difference. It will add a slightly more "molasses" flavor, which you can also achieve by simply replacing some of the unrefined cane sugar with additional blackstrap molasses.